Please take note of the following common mistakes:
- Note speech marks
- "I will not forgive you," she cried in tears. "Why did you abandon me?"
- She hollered at the top of her voice, " Get out of my sight!"
- He looked at her with a grin,"I wonder who will be the next chairperson."
- To narrate a past event, use three dots (...) not six (......)
- Differentiate between it's- it is and its - belong to
- Use Mother, Father and not mum and dad.
- I said sorry - I apologised. I said thanks - I thanked her profusely. I said no - I rejected her offer. I said yes - I agreed wholeheartedly
- I got scared - I was scared
- He asked me to go and meet him now. - He asked me to meet him now.
- Paragraphing for new scenes. Ensure that flow of events are in sequence. Meaning: PLAN BEFOREHAND.
- Do not change from third person account to personal account suddenly.
- In picture writing, you can use third person account or personal (first person) account. In continuous writing, it can only be personal (first person) account.
- Check for grammar mistakes - Recount should be like reported speech. Therefore, you change now to then, today to that day etc.
- Read the question carefully. Do not go out-of-point. Follow the questions given in the question. E.g. must write about onlookers, what happened, what happened in the end?
- Develop the climax... that's the crucial paragraph...
- Revise your proverbs. Use them as learning points at the end of the essay... of course, use them appropriately.
- Can I have at least 10 good phrases in your essay? For instance, instead of happy, use delirious, on cloud nine. Instead of frightened, use "I can feel the rapid palpitation of my heart" "There is a lump in my throat" etc.
That will form your language... the more good and appropriate vocabulary used, the better it is.
CONTENT: Be innovative. Write something that is touching? That can tug at the reader's heartstring... death, recovery, finding life's little treasure etc... do not simply narrate without emotions. Good phrases will bring your essay alive!
Good Luck and please CHECK THROUGH YOUR WORK!
Rgds,
The SPOILT RECORDER
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete