Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Rwanda, Rwanda

Dear 6B,

After watching Hotel Rwanda, I hope you have a better understanding of racial discrimination around us and the impact of words and actions on people.

Share with the class on the learning points from genocide of Rwanda.

Personally, I admire the courage and wit of Paul. Imagine a man standing for what he believes in. Of course, what he believes in must be right in the first place. Going against all odds and emerging to become a better person. The world probably needs more people like him. :) That's my viewpoint. What about yours?

Rgds,
Spoilt Recorder

The music video on "Million Voices"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACP-mjyERK0&feature=related

36 comments:

  1. Choi Hoi Ching (First comment=P)

    Paul is a good role model for us, as he overcomes difficulties to create peace. He is willing to be separated with family members at war times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chong Fu Shan - 2nd comment =)
    I think Paul is great as he is determined, and gave up the chance to go to Belgium as he wanted to help the refugees. He made alot of sacrifices to save people too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zhangle-3rd comment:*

    I think Paul is very selfless as he thought about others.He even gave up his beer,money,cigares to save the lives of many people.He was rewarded a medal by George W.Bush in 2005*****************************************************************************************************

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Paul is very dtermined.He did not go to Belgium and he stayed to help the refugee.He is also very clever as he used beer and money to waste time so that he can get help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul is a very determined person who will stand up for what he believes in even when others have no faith in him. He is also a smart man who will use phycology to buy time and also use a 10000 franks cigar in order to gain friendship with people. He also shamed people to help them by thanking them for what they had done although it may be wrong.

    -Jeffrey-

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel that Paul is a determined man as he uses all sorts of things to bribe the Hutu just to stall time for the refugees living in the hotel to be rescued by the UN.Even when the UN refuses to rescue the Hutu and Tutsi refugees,he is still determined on trying to convince the UN to save the refugees.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel that Paul is a very determined person and he always belived in himself.Even thought the Whites had left them,he did not give up but worked a way out by asking the Tutsi to call others to make them help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paul always thinks of his family first before anything else.We should learn to be like him,
    smart,caring and understanding.Two main characteristics to learn from him,perserverance and determination. We should also live together in harmony and not let anything get in the way of our friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Sarah,

    Perhaps you can clarify on what you mean by racial discrimination is useless? It kind of contradicts what you wrote...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eugene

    Paul is a very determined person and would do all he can to save everyone.He is also smart. I think having wars will not do any good. I think our world should have peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kevin Choh
    Paul is a very determined person and was willing to stay to help the refugees even though he could have gone to Belgium.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paul is a determined person and kind and smart.He is willing to risk his life for others.He is generous too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paul is a very determined person as he choose to save people. He choose to give up his life for the Tutsis instead of helping the Hutus. He tried as hard as he can and he even let the Tutsi refugees to live in his hotel. He also tried to find ways to buy time and seek for help. Paul is also too reliant as he believed that the Whites are there to help the Blacks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Paul was very brave as he could have left to other country but he chose to stay behind to save the people who were left behind. He is also smart as he used psychology welfare to get help from the whites.

    ReplyDelete
  17. -rachel chan -

    I feel that Paul is a smart and persevere man as he would go to all meens to save the tutsi and even risking his life . He is smart as he does no use violence to solve the problem , he uses strategies and formulas to make the whites feel quilty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think that Paul is a very determined,smart and kind man.He would risk his life to help save the people without violence.He knows how to use psychology warfare to save even more people.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think tat Paul is a very smart and kind man. He was willing to risk his life to save the tutsi without using violence but his brain. He is a good example that we should follow.
    Jeline Foo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Paul is a person who think of other first. He is a good role model and risk taker who would risk his life to save other people. We should follow his good example.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with the others. I think Paul is a strong willed man. I f I were him ,I don't think I would as strong willed as him. He bribed and blackmailed people just to save innocent Hutu and Tutsi. He saved 1236 out of a million Africans. It doesn't sound much as it is lower than half the amount, but can you do better? Under hard circumstances, he saved as much people as he could. Who said one man can't do the impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Paul is a smart,brave and a risk-taker because he could use this strategic to use psychology to make the people of Sabena to send forces to stop the Hutu Power from killing them.Saving 1000+ people is a very stressful job for paul because if one of them were killed, their families could blame him and Paul may be sad as he had helped them survived this far.

    ~Lim Zheng Xuan~

    ReplyDelete
  23. - LIM WEI JIE-
    Paul is a smart and brave guy as he had to take many insults from the HUTUS his own people to save the tutsis. He used psychology to trick many people into not killing the tutsis. He saved over 1000 people which is already a very amazing achievement for only 1 person. If a hundered people saved a 1000 people, it is quite good already but for 1 person to save that amount of people, that is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think Paul is a very determined person because he was willing to risk his life to save other people. He is smart too as he used psychology to get help from the whites.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think that he is a kind person who will put his life at risk just to save others around him.
    Also,I think he is not petty as the other Hutus in the show as they have killed about 1 000 000 people just because of the death of the Hutu president which may not be true.He is also very determined to save his sister's daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think Paul is a god and kind person as he help a lot of people and he will risk anything to save his family.He is also generous to give money to the Hutu to save his families and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really think that Paul is very brave. If I were him, I would be afraid of a lot of things and be a coward.
    He is also stubborn in a good way. He never gives up on things he had started.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think that Paul is a kind and smart person as he brought the orphans and mdm Archer with him along to safety and he used psychology to get help from the white's.

    ReplyDelete
  30. In my opinion, I feel that Paul is very brave. Even though he was a Hutu he still helped the Tutsis and allowed them to stay in his hotel. He is smart in a way that he managed to convince the Hutu general into thinking that he was on the criminal list. I do not know if it is real but it saved many peoples life when the Hutu soldiers attacked the Hutu rebels. I really admire Paul.=)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think we should more from Paul, be brave and believe in yourself. He is willing to sacrifice himself to help others that is on thing we all should learn.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Seow Qi Hui

    I think that Paul is a kind and clever person.He always think of a way to solve problems.He let the Tutsis stay in his hotel even though he is a Hutu.He is a good example for us.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think the genocide of Rwanda was exceptionally cruel and also disgusting. The Hutus are actually killing their own neighbours, which I find quite appaling.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think that Paul is a very good example to follow.He is very determined to help the Tutsi even when he is a Hutu.He did not gave up even when they have little hope just like when the whites leave them.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Rewriting.I think that Paul is very brave,and determined to help some of the Tutsis stay alive.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I feel that Paul's brave and courageous character is rare and hard to find in a person. We should learn from him. He is a good role model.

    ReplyDelete